Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

CAN'T EAT JUST ONE

In your lifetime, you inadvertently will eat a pound of insects.


At least that's what I read after I found this itty bitty fly in my chicken Cesar salad. OK, so I lost my appetite. I don't do bugs.

Many people, though, do do bugs. In fact, some people eat bug doo-doo. If you don't believe me, just go online and Google "eat bugs." After I finished shuddering, this cookbook looked interesting.


I might be able to eat a fried, ground-up mealworm. I eat escargot, after all. Does that count as a bug?

It's those insects with hairy legs and wings that are difficult to swallow. Or maybe it's the fear of bug eggs hatching in my intestines to grow into a 50-foot tapeworm that's makes the thought hard to stomach.

So much for all that protein.

It you don't like bugs (or if you feel sorry for them when they're eaten) don't watch this.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That video is awful. OMG! I dont do bugs either and with the summer here I do belive we may digest a few critters and not even know it.

Tue May 29, 03:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this bugs me.

Wed May 30, 07:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that makes you a June bug...:}

Wed May 30, 09:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when I order a grasshopper at the bar, that's not what I have in mind..

Wed May 30, 09:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on eating bugs. I don't do bugs either. However, a friend moved to Jinan,
China last year. He has eaten everything from bugs to cats and dogs. Pretty nasty. Did you know that only the 5 stars restaurants (in China) provide toilet paper in the bathrooms? So, where ever you plan to dine, better bring your
own roll.

Wed May 30, 09:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate the beetles, I have an allergy to them ...

Wed May 30, 12:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snails are not bugs-they are Mollusks-so you don't like to eat bugs-now you can sleep easy

Sun Jun 03, 03:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jiminy crickets...

Sun Jun 03, 06:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A tapeworm, Jenny Craig? Mmmm, good question.

Thu Jun 07, 06:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home