Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

DRAGON BREATH

It was growing.


OK, so I overlooked the onion in the refrigerator crisper since Christmas.

I'm usually paranoid about out-of-date items and clean out the refrigerator religiously. Rarely anything (other than stuck-in-the-back-of-the-drawer cream cheese) gets moldy.


After I discovered the onion had fully sprouted, I was fascinated with its delicate lines and intricate root system that had started to grow. So, I took some pictures.


After that, I started to wonder if it would have baby onions if I planted it. So, I did. I know nothing about growing onions, but I know it's getting bigger by the minute.

Sort of like these giant water lilies on time-lapse photography.

Stay tuned for red onion updates throughout the summer.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a bloomin onion.

Tue May 15, 11:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Onions are grown from "onion sets",which are little bulbs that resemble baby onions. It's unlikely that this red onion will produce more of the same. You may see a few flowers if allowed to grow long enough.
It is a nice picture however.

Tue May 15, 02:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no onions for you, one year!

Tue May 15, 05:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Pete's sake, prove him wrong..If you water them with beer, will they make beer batter onion rings, too?

Tue May 15, 05:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't you grow sweet potato roots in kindergarten?

Wed May 16, 07:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plant some grapefruit seeds and see what happens!It was done in my daughter's 1st grade class. WE had the plant for years. O.K.-so we never had grapefruit but the leaves were pretty.
Find out how to grow an avocado plant from the large pit. Also done in a kindergarten class.

Thu May 17, 08:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home