Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

WE'RE FUMING!

With gas prices exceeding $3 a gallon in most states, I'd say that motorcycle of mine is looking more and more attractive.

Of course, it's not so attractive at night, in the rain or when you want to go somewhere with your family in tow. It's also not so attractive in rush-hour traffic.

But gas prices are stressing me out. I feel like I'm working to get to work to make enough money to get me home and then back to work the next day. Which means ... it's time for more companies to allow their employees to leave their desktops behind and work from home.


We certainly have the technology via secure Web browsers. And even if a fraction of regular commuters worked from home one day a week, it would save millions of gallons of gasoline a year. Not to mention that worker productivity might improve without all that stress from stupid-human interaction!


Being a stay-at-home employee sounds OK to me. Winning the lottery sounds even better.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutley right! IF at all possible employees should be able to work from home. Great idea. Saves gas and time. You are really on to something.

Tue May 22, 10:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am driving a beautiful 1996 Sedan DeVille Cadillac bought from my fiancee. It was her late mom's car. Looks like a vehicle straight out of "The Sopranos". I merely guide this boat and it delivers me in comfort as opposed to the old smelly pickup I sold to my mechanic.Now when the Caddy needs service,I get to drive my old truck.Of course,the Cadillac
will only drink premium gas.
Now factor in the increase in my company health insurance to insure my future bride and her son...$1,200.00 a month....gas @$3.19 a gallon...I am a member of that rapidly disappearing middle class.
Anyone ever hear President Bush discuss the gas price crisis?
Remember The Windfall Profit Tax of the late 70's?
Just another concrete reason for getting out of Iraq....A domestic policy would be nice!!!

Tue May 22, 10:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

remember odd/even license plates and long,long lines waiting to fill-up in the 70's ? .. at least we are not at that point yet..

Tue May 22, 02:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember young guys sucking gas out of their parents'cars when it was not their day to get gas at the station. Anything,even risking chemical pneumonia just for enough gas to make it down the Jersey Shore.
I was a smart kid. I used a clear plastic hose,unlike my cronies who were frequently seen hurling in the streets from ingesting gas from mom's car.
It was a great day when battery operated syphon pumps were sold!

Tue May 22, 02:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no reason for these inflated prices. Yesterday on the radio I heard that the prices should stay around 3.00, though on Memorial Day weekend, they will go up. Why? There's no need. The gas station owners are taking advantage of a holiday weekend.

By the way, it was also stated that New Jersey gas prices fall BELOW the state average by around 26 cents. So I guess, I shouldn't be complaining...

Margaret

Wed May 23, 06:34:00 AM  
Blogger Kathi said...

When oil companies post record profits while the middle and lower classes get poorer, it just makes people madder. We have to do something to fight back. Diana, you have a terrific idea. I know my employer doesn't offer a telecommuting option. I could personally get more work done at home without the interruptions at the office. All employers should consider this.

Sat May 26, 12:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just think of all the hot air and gas emissions that would be reduced (in the office) if more workers stayed home...

Sun Jun 03, 06:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home