Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Friday, May 12, 2006

AN APPLE A DAY


I've been thinking.

Am I seeing things?

The red apples in the grocery store are always shiny.

Do the produce clerks buff every apple to make them more attractive before putting them out for sale?

If so, why don't they buff the yellow ones. It scares me to think what they are wiping off.

And what's with the greased-up cucumbers? What do grocery store employees think we're going to do with greasy cucumbers?

Don't answer that.

I've been wondering what to expect next.

Glazed Brussels sprouts? Painted carrots? Mr. Potato Head parts on our spuds?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those greasy cucumbers are the worst! I wash them with soap to get that mysterious grime off. The apples however don't bother me. I find myself eating those before I remember to wash them. And glazed brussel sprouts actually sound kind of delicious. I might try glazing some for dinner tonight. Do you wash your bananas? I had a friend tell me they are the dirtiest. You touch the peel with your fingers then transfer it to your mouth. Wash your bananas!??

Fri May 12, 12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you put mr. Potato parts on your spud?

Fri May 12, 05:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly, when you buy organic red apples they are not shiny. I'm sure the wax that they put on the regular apples is not the best for our digestive system.

Fri May 12, 07:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am fascinated that people get paid to put the code numbers on the fruit-let alone wax.

Sat May 13, 02:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home