Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

EYE-OPENING EXPERIENCE


I had a dream.

Actually, I have a lot of dreams ... every night. Last night's dream was just plain weird, though.

I have to marvel at how our minds work by replaying the day during the middle of the night.

I'll spare you the details of the crazy dream that probably lasted a good four hours. I know this because I kept waking up during the fierce thunderstorm that passed through the area, only to go back to sleep and dream about America's enemies invading New Jersey like Sherman plundering Atlanta in "Gone With the Wind."

Earlier, I had read about the continuing conflicts in the Middle East and had watched a History Channel show before going to bed about the Taj Mahal and the Mughal Empire.

At the end of my dream, when the two armies came face to face on horseback, I (as a peacemaker for the United Nations) decided it might just be better if everyone went to McDonald's and shared a Happy Meal.

Wouldn't it be nice if it were that simple?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you read the short story "In Dreams Begin Responsibilities" by Delmore Schwartz?

BTW, you left out a most important detail of your dream -- do you dream in color or in black and white?

Tue Aug 08, 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

always in color.

Tue Aug 08, 12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just dreamed that I went to a "more than I want to count" high school reunion. I know it was a dream because there is no way I am that old!

Tue Aug 08, 01:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe the big golden M arch of mickey dee's symbolizes.. Middle East Mess, Massacre, Maniacal,Mean Men..too bad your dream did not involve Burger King, then you coulda had it "YOUR WAY"!

Tue Aug 08, 05:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah,To Sleep.Perchance to Dream...
Our dreams actually last a few minutes during our REM sleep.

Now,if we could get them all to McDonalds....what shape would the table have to be? Who gets to sit at the head of the table? Would it be round,square,octagonal?
Remember the Vietnam Peace talks?
The dickering over the shape of the table went on for months as I recall.
"I want to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony"... Remember that old ditty.It was a Coke commercial overproduced back in the 70's.
Peace on Earth and Big Macs for everyone!

Tue Aug 08, 09:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's the real thing! bahbahbahbahbah, I'm lovin' it!

Wed Aug 09, 01:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the coke commercial- "I'd like to teach the world to sing...ect" Who said fast food chains were all about commericalism and profit?

Tue Aug 15, 11:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home