Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

WRITING ON THE WALL


I overheard a friend complaining about a health problem the comes with growing older.

A middle-age woman, she was beginning to have blood-pressure issues and said she found herself sitting at the kitchen table every evening with the cuff on her arm,
checking it.

In addition, she is driving under the speed limit in the right lane ... just in case.

She added that all she needed was a bald head, a cigar and big Buick to complete the new image of herself.

Later, I received a letter from a reader who requested a copy of a past column I had written.

The writing on the envelope was uneven and appeared as if the older writer had labored addressing it.

I looked down at my own handwriting that isn't much better than chicken-scratching.

My new image of myself is that of a shaky, little old woman sitting at the kitchen table trying to address a birthday card to her great-grandchild.

Looks like e-cards are in my future.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not how old you feel that matters. It's how old you look. And you look maahvellous, daahling.

Tue Aug 01, 10:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

STOP!STOP!
You are getting on my nerves about age, sunsets, picture perfect efforts. You need a vacation or a good bottle of the best wine-Now listen--Everyone young or old has a shaky hand when they want to get to the point-You are young, intellegent and smart-and if you are on the road to old-I must be past the grave yard-

RELAX!

Tue Aug 01, 02:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just happened to look at my Social Security card today and didn't even recognize the eighteen year old kid's signature. Suffice to say I am a few years older and you wouldn't know that it's the same persons signature. Oh yeah, guess I'm not really the same person! Got that brain?

Tue Aug 01, 04:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can do e-cards assuming they aren't obsolete by then (who knows what techno brings next?)..also you are assuming you will remember your passwords, etc or that you will even remember your g-child's name! could be worse..could be old, fat and dumb!

Tue Aug 01, 06:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many people denied a chance to be that "shaky,little old woman".
The misspending of one's youth,the indignities set upon us as we age.
Live for the moment and full speed ahead,Young Lady!
Carpe diem!

Tue Aug 01, 11:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are like fine wine- we age gracefully and are appreciated by those who care to get to know us.

Wed Aug 02, 05:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My handwriting changed when I was younger. And I had won penmanship awards in school. Now doctors never had good handwriting. Old age was not their excuse-then and now.

Thu Aug 03, 09:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diana,
P.S.
I like that chicken picture. It matches the motiff in our kitchen.

Thu Aug 03, 09:44:00 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Just FYI,
Most pictures on the blog site are mine unless otherwise noted, but i neglected to say the chicken picture was taken by Darling Daughter... We do share some things such as a talent to visualize a good shot and a similar indentation in the top of our skulls. :)

Thu Aug 03, 10:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home