Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Friday, July 21, 2006

CLOSE MINDED


Perceptions get us into trouble.

I stayed up late watching the movie "Kinsey" about the life of Dr. Alfred Kinsey and the Kinsey Reports - the controversial publications of "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male" published in 1948, followed in 1953 by "Sexual Behavior in the Human Female."

To this day, the Kinsey Reports still polarize many people because of perceptions. The Religious Right people say his work was morally corrupting. Others say it was liberating.

As a teenager, I embraced "letting it all hang out" during the sexual revolution of the '60s, and followed it up with sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll in the '70s

So, why do I now, in the privacy of my home, perceive that the bathroom door should be closed during pit stops? To everyone ... even my dog.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besides the movie, which was a commercial endeavor, Channel 13 had a special on the life and work of Alfred Kinsey. They said that the Rockefeller Institute stopped funding Kinsey because their scientists found that Kinsey's methods were not good science. So although Kinsey was well-meaning, and whatever you want to attribute his motives to, his work was trivialized by the heavyweight scientific community.

Fri Jul 21, 10:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

esp as we age..puhleez keep the bathroom door closed and all lights out in bed! ain't a pretty sight no matter how good you think you look..you prob don't!

Sat Jul 22, 02:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm used to having my cat(s) in the bathroom, because simply I have no choice... One loves the water and the other will knock on the door until you let her in.

I have a similar "quirk" to you in that given a choice between using a bathroom stall against the furthest wall, or one closer to the door, I prefer the furthest. Heck, given the choice between a bathroom all the way in back of a building or one in front, I'll choose the back one.

Sat Jul 22, 09:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are feeling your age-you are being pressured by the socially accepted practices-but I bet that you are not rolling in the toilet paper like I am-always the one the roll waits for to be changed

This is probably a not so intelligent blog but I am tired from changing all that paper

Sun Jul 23, 02:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have kept the bathroom doors unlocked since my first child was born. The rest of the family were trained to keep their doors closed.

Mon Jul 24, 04:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My coming of age would have been
Woodstock in July 69'at the age of 16. I fought tooth and nail in an attempt to secure parental permission to go to this three day Music and Love fest.After all,I'd be going with friends older than I;friends who were very stable and grounded.
Still,no permission was forthcoming.
Three days before the "Festival in the Mud" took place,I came down with a severe case of mumps.
How did Mom know how to do that?
Oh,and those older friends? They're still my friends today....Still very stable working professionals.

Wed Jul 26, 10:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Sat Aug 12, 10:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Fri Aug 18, 01:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home