Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

SMELL THE ROSES


I was running late for work.

I had yet to gather my things, provide my girls with their daily chew bones and make the bed.

I was rushing around when I looked out the kitchen window only to see the smallest hummingbird I've ever seen feeding on the little blue flowers in the deck planter.

Mesmerized, I watched the bird go from bloom to bloom for a few minutes until it flew off into the woods.

I was sad my camera was not nearby to record the tiny bird in all its splendor. Too often we rush through life, not appreciating the beautiful things around us, and I was glad I had taken the time to watch the hummingbird go about its daily business.

When I got to work I had an e-mail from an astute reader who confided that he had gone through some very rough times in his life, but now, life was good. He wanted to me to know that he was getting married, and how thankful he is for newfound his happiness.

I thought about the hummingbird, and how thankful I am that it made me smile, if only for a moment in time.

What little things make you happy?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watching a hawk soaring!

Wed Jul 12, 10:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a child's laughter, nature, peace, true love, and honesty

Wed Jul 12, 10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging in capital letters

Wed Jul 12, 11:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sharing,laughter,meeting hummingbirds along the way.New beginnings.Watching some unknown person's young infant at a restaurant look back and smile at me as I dine with my fiancee and her son.
Yes,life still and hopefully will for a long time hold me enchanted.
I suspect I am that "astute reader" of whom you wrote.
Have a nice day hummingbird!

Wed Jul 12, 11:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful for ziploc bags..caller ID at dinnertime (anytime).. that God has no caller ID (sometimes it seems like He has call waiting, though)...our local Red Cross...spandex/lycra anything ...muted cell phones in a public place...muted babies in a public place... flowers...chocolate anything anytime...my kids...my family...my health..this blog site!

Wed Jul 12, 11:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The kiss of an Angel, an afternoon cocktail and nice uninterrupted conversation (by phone or in the mail) most of all the goodness of God

Wed Jul 12, 03:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good glass of wine with friends.

Wed Jul 12, 09:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breifly: Having my heath and aging gracefully.
The long winded version is best described by this little poem.

This age I did not care to reach:
This utter edge of youth, when here and there
A strange new silver thread slips in your hair,
And careless days grow faster back with each
Additional birthday.

These have been the years
I dreaded secretly, and suddenly find
It is a lovely age, and I was blind
To beauty that follows when the ears
Are more attuned to listening at last
To see detail and not go hurrying past
To newness always, now that the heart, has lately
Found, love is not taking, but is giving greatly.

Wed Jul 12, 10:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knowing how to be just as happy with $20.00 as I would be with a million.

Thu Jul 13, 08:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Leo if he likes to give so much-dinner and a good bottle of vodka would go nicely

Thu Jul 13, 10:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

leo I agree...by the way, any luck with "the young ladies"? to those young ladies..ignorance is not bliss...

Thu Jul 13, 12:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really absorbing each day with my family and friends because every moment, whether good or bad, will never be regained. Hugging my Daughter, Husband, Mother, Father, Brother and other loved ones. Always saying "I love you," when you hang up the phone or leave. Feeling my unborn baby move, knowing what a miracle life is. Never forgeting the moments shared with those who have passed on.

Thu Jul 13, 01:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home