Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

ZONED OUT


Sometimes I hate shopping.

Especially at the large home-improvement stores.

It's bad enough that you have to walk a mile and ask 15 people where to find that 3/8'' to 1/4'' connector for the gas grill, but by the time you get to the right aisle, you have to go to the bathroom, which is in the opposite corner of the store.

A half hour later when I finally got back to a virtually empty aisle, I began to peruse a huge hanging display board that had every kind of connector possible except the one I needed. All of a sudden, everyone and his brother wanted the same connector, and the exact spot where I was standing became very popular.

Now, you'd think with so many things in that store, someone would be looking at mulch or something, but NOOOOOO, they were all right there, reaching around me to finger one of the hanging connectors.

So, I redefined my comfort zone by elbowing my way in front of them to finger a different connector.

I finally gave up and went home to find some tranquility by standing next to my flowering bushes.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, we are being suffocated with excess. Have you tried to find a screw of a certain size/type in your home-improvement store? Or a specific analgesic in a drug store?
Or a particular brand of cereal in a large supermarket? There are more choices available than grains of sand in Belmar Beach.

On the other hand, I went looking for a 150 watt bulb, only to find that neither CVS nor Walgreens stock them any more because their computers tell them that they are "not worth the shelf space."

Wed Aug 02, 11:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you need 150 watts for? You're either getting cataracts or growing marijuana in your closet.

Wed Aug 02, 01:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, anonymous, I could tell you I grow doobies, but Diana knows that isn't true.

Wed Aug 02, 02:20:00 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Oh yes, I can say that norm doesn't know anything about growing (or rolling) doobies. He does have a curious mind, though, and knows all about joint juice!

Wed Aug 02, 04:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Home Depot type operations always seem to be overflowing with "expert" help when the store is relatively new and in their honeymoon period with the neighborhood. Give them three months and all the "experts" are now gone,replaced by young kids.
I try to stick to the old fashioned neighborhood hardware store.There are still some of those around.Home Depot has not squashed all the little guys yet.

Wed Aug 02, 04:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

black and decker definately has it right. I can go into our little hardware store, which seems to have everything, ask the owner at the counter what I am looking for, and he knows exactly where it is. I save time and gas and energy.

Wed Aug 02, 04:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could do your walking exercise in either Loew's or Home Depot.Where is the expert help? Yes, the little neighboring "hardware " stores are more helpful, and you can always call up and ask if they have the part in stock. Now that is customer service.

Thu Aug 03, 09:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home