Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Friday, June 01, 2007

NEAR MISS

I did my good deed for the day ... I think.


Driving down a very busy four-lane roadway in Toms River on my way to work, I spotted a beautiful dog in the middle of the road. He looked frightened and out of his element.

Luckily, there was a place to pull over along the shoulder, which I did and got out of the car to try and get the dog to safety.

A man and a woman on the opposite side of the road said they had been trying to get the dog to come to them to no avail. I called to him, and he came right over, tail wagging.

When I picked him up, he licked my face. He didn't squirm, growl or try to get away. He had no collar or identification.

There was a house nearby with the garage door open, and the man said he thought the dog came from there. We rang the doorbell and banged on the door. No one answered.



We went into the garage and the door to the inside of the house was open. We called inside, no one answered.
I put the dog down, he ran in, and I closed the door.

Hopefully, the residents will come home to find their pet safe and sound.

Either that or they will be very surprised to find a strange dog in their house.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good thing you did your good deed or we may have heard about another dog becoming a coyote hors d'oeuvre...

Fri Jun 01, 12:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you will go to heaven for that.

Fri Jun 01, 05:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean that you will find Taffy my Collie and bring him back after 50 years? They didn't have highways then-probably that is why he is still missing

Sun Jun 03, 03:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was pleased to meet the woman today who was kind enough to grab my dog who was scared out of his mind from the streets and rescue him. i am very upset to know that he ran out into the streets because knowing my dog he is not the kind to run off at all. he is a one and half year old pure breed pomerian puppy. i am sure he was trying to find his daddy owner because he had driven off and i was regretfully in the shower. i thank you so much for being the wonderful kind of person you are to stop and help my dog. i was so upset that day to find out what happened and dont know what i would do if anything happened to him.i will keep a more watchful eye on him because he is so sneaky.but i just really wanted to say thank you so much and i appreciate more than yo

Mon Jun 04, 09:21:00 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

J.L. you are very welcome! Accidents happen so don't feel too badly. I'm just glad everything turned out OK and that we put your puppy in the right house. He is a beautiful little dog.

Tue Jun 05, 09:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone should rent the DVD: "Pay it Forward" with Kevin Spacey and Haley Joel Osment...

Tue Jun 05, 11:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home