Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Thursday, February 08, 2007

LOVE AT LAST SIGHT?


(AP PHOTO)

Just in time for Valentine's Day!

Readers/bloggers Pete and Lynda of Springfield, who are getting married in June, were all agog over these "embraceable you" skeletons and e-mailed me right away to tell me so.

The 5,000- to 6,000-year-old skeletons (give or take a 1,000 years) were discovered during construction work for a factory 25 miles south of Verona, Italy, the city in which Shakespeare set "Romeo and Juliet."

The prehistoric couple, believed to be fairly young because they still had all their teeth, have archaeologists blubbering about strength of love and the deep sentiment of the rare find as compared to the scientific value.

I can't wait to find out if they are of the opposite sex or just a couple of female virgins sacrificed to their village's rain god.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking about taking that final no return trip together. Well, my wife and I plan on having our ashes commingled and then spread on the bar stools of all those sleazy places we frequented.

Thu Feb 08, 03:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never much fancied boney women!
I was always afraid of hurting them with my agressive hug.
Thankfully my Sweet intended is just right for hugging.

Thu Feb 08, 08:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shake it, break it, Boney Monie!Monie, Monie, oh you're Boney!! Knockdown turnaround come on Boney....

Thu Feb 08, 08:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe they were original gay couple, Adam & Steve!

Thu Feb 08, 10:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I keep humming in my head is the Captain & Tenille tune: "Love, love will keep us together..."

Fri Feb 09, 11:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's eery that their skulls are shaped like a broken heart...

Mon Feb 12, 07:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did they die? I would be hugging anyone I could find if I knew I was going to die. Who is to say they were in love. Lets just make up any fairytale to make the discovery of two 6,000 year old skeletons interesting. What, people didn't have feelings back then??? Come on, this isn't a new discovery. This is a media hype for scientist to get funding for further digs.

Wed Feb 14, 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like they really dug each other!

Fri Feb 16, 04:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home