Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Friday, February 02, 2007

HERE COMES THE JUDGE


Yesterday, I was out of town helping to judge the New York Press Association's annual newspaper contest.

We spent hours critiquing tons of entries in the categories of which we were in charge, trying to choose the winners according to contest guidelines.

Funny about contests. They're always a win-lose situation.

And everyone who enters (especially if they don't win) says the judging is "subjective."

Could be.

By the end of the day, all I wanted was to be subjected to an aspirin and a glass of wine.

P.S. On a somber (and sober) note ... Happy one-year anniversary in heaven, Mom. I really, really miss my biggest fan.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kindness is now and always will be missed by all that were lucky enough to spend time in your presence.

Fri Feb 02, 11:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With a love loss comes much grief, a day of rememberance, rest in peace...we have yet another angel to greet us!

Fri Feb 02, 11:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missing you too, Mom! Should'as, could'as, would'as, if onlys, such guilt we carry when thinking of those who have crossed over before us. You were a gentle, loving Mother. Keep us in your prayers until we see you again.

Fri Feb 02, 12:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The biggest tribute I can pay to your Mom is that she raised a wonderful, talented, kind, daughter-she is definitely an Angel! God bless her and her family that she is still overlooking!

Fri Feb 02, 12:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as a contest is concerned-the attitude of those entering should be more positive-win or not win-if you are talented enough to enter any contest you are a winner! I have never won anything but consider myself a very lucky human being.

Fri Feb 02, 12:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That photo of your Mom made the tears flow from my eyes. She was one of a kind.

Fri Feb 02, 01:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will say a prayer for the repose of your mother's soul.

Tue Feb 06, 03:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think about you all the time Grandmall and miss you soooooo much! I hope you visit us often to see how much fun your great grandchildren are. Chloe likes talking about you and loves playing with your costume jewelery. I am glad that we had such a close relationship. I hope someday that I am as good of a grandmother as you!! I'll have to remember to buy them pencils with their names on them and underline all the important words on their birthday cards.....HUGS AND KISSES

Tue Feb 06, 09:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diana, i'm trying to find an article you wrote about your Mom. My wife lost her Mom to cancer in Nov. of '06. She's been having a tough time, and i think your article may help her out. thanks Mike Clifton
mclifton@magnasecurities.com

thank you so much

Wed Jun 20, 11:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home