Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

WHAT IS THIS?

Yes, I know it's a moth ... but what kind?

Last night I was futzing around on the deck and I noticed this strange-looking guy (and two of his twin siblings) hanging out on my screen door.


Now, I'm not fond of insects. I can take ladybugs, fireflies, daddy long legs and butterflies, but when it comes to moths and other creepy, crawly creatures, I'm skeeved out.

Spot here was so unusual looking that I had to take his picture. In the 11 years in the same house, I've never seen any one like this. Afterward, I Googled "black and white spotted moth with blue legs" to try to find out what kind of moth this guy is.

All to no avail. Well, actually I gave up when no moth pictures matched him in the first 20 or so Web sites I visited.


So, what kind of moth is this? Is it a rare species or is it your everyday run-of-the-mill moth? And while we're wondering ... why do they call moth balls "moth balls" when they really only repel the larvae? Why aren't they call larvae or worm balls?

**please make this site one of your favorites**

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know what kind of moth that is but i can tell you this i never seen a moth look like that .... now i have to find out what he is....
thanks jennifer

Wed Jun 27, 01:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cat ate a dragon fly the other day. I don't think I ever saw one that close up before. My initial reaction was of shock, as I thought that he would get stung, but I guess that don't have stingers.

I almost tried to free the poor fluttering creature, however, I realized once his wings were crushed, it would be more merciful to just let nature takes it's course. I still can't figure out why my cats eat bugs. And worms.

Every now and then I'll see a wierd bug, worm or reptile that I've never recognized before. It makes you wonder where do they hide out the rest of the year when it's not summer.

Wed Jun 27, 02:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool...

Wed Jun 27, 07:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read your column in yesterday's paper. We spent many years trying to rid our patio of growth between the cracks. Last year I read a hint that claimed vinegar poured on the offending greenery will remove it. IT WORKED!!!!
GOOD LUCK.

Dot Ryan

Thu Jun 28, 05:24:00 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Wow, vinegar... who would have thought. Wonder why it's put it on salad?

Thu Jun 28, 08:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work in Jackson, and let me tell you they have the wierdest and the largest moths I have ever seen. One was about as big as your hand. The colors and markings are so unique. We even have bats hanging around.

Thu Jun 28, 10:43:00 AM  
Blogger Tarah said...

Hello,
This bug is awesome! I took an entomology course at Rutgers as an undergrad -- the class was called World of Insects - and by far my most favorite class to date.

I think this moth is a giant leopard moth - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Leopard_Moth.

That is all from the nerd gallery. :)

Fri Jun 29, 04:38:00 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Mystery solved! Thanks Tarah... you never know when the stuff you thought you'd never use again from college comes in handy!

Actually I was hoping it was an endangered species so they would never be able to develop the wooded lot behind my house.

Fri Jun 29, 08:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The species is called "UGLY"-I would find a new screen door-at least the species didn't walk through it like some species I know!!!!

Fri Jun 29, 09:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news is..it's not an endangered species so you can "swat" it to smithereens and not feel so guilty...no letters from PETA nuts please...am kidding...sort of...

Fri Jun 29, 05:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder...hmmmm... since you seem to be a sort of mad scientist these days (bloomin' onion and tomato grower extraordinaire) if you ever thought about what you'd get if you crossed that onion with that moth? ... a smelly, spotted butterfly?

Fri Jun 29, 05:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Silence of the Lambs!

Fri Jul 13, 05:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home