Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Friday, June 22, 2007

FLAT AS A PANCAKE

She flattened it ... and almost killed herself.


A Cape May woman crashed her car to avoid hitting a turtle that was crossing the road. State Police said Saranne Goldfinger, 65, was not critically injured when her car crashed through a guardrail and tumbled down an embankment before flipping over.

The turtle, however, didn't fare as well. (sorry, I have no pictures of turtles in my photo collection).


When I took motorcycle classes, the instructor told us (as harsh as it may seem) that there are certain critters that riders shouldn't try to avoid in order to keep from losing control of the bike. He called them "squishables."

Obviously, this woman didn't know about squishables, which include reptiles/amphibians (snakes and frogs, not alligators!), squirrels and other rodents, cats and even small dogs.

Then there are those (even if you're in a car) that do not fall into the squishable category ... such as ... cows.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you should write about this nut-on my way back from getting coffee at 7am-another nut case decided to stop her car short in front of my car to avoid a squirel-now my Mother taught me that the only way you could hit one of these litte rascals is if it was too sick to get out of the way-then you would probably be doing it a favor!
The lady nut driver wasn't worried about any injury to me in the car behind her when she stopped short-that is why I walk!

Fri Jun 22, 12:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

run 'em over!

Fri Jun 22, 09:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "cats and even small dogs" got to me, having hit a cat once. I was devastated, but the truth is, that when it is an "it or me and the people in my car scenario, plus the people behind me", the animals have to lose.

This woman who avoided the turtle must be kicking herself right now.

Margaret

Sat Jun 23, 10:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if PETA people spare animals and consider humans "squishables" ?

Thu Jun 28, 05:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home