Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

DAYTONA OR BUST


I work hard.

And like most people who care about their jobs, I work during my time off because my name is attached to the final result, and I want it to be the best it can be.

So, when I read an opinion piece written by an Oregon guy ticked off over the welfare system, I had to share his logic.

Here's what Leonard Wilson of Riddle had to say:

"I have a job. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as they see
fit.

"In order for me to get that paycheck, I have to pass random urine tests, which I have no problem with. What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to those who don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to earn it for them?


"I have no problem helping people get back on their feet. I do have a problem with helping them sit on their butt.

"Can you imagine how much money the state would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a public assistance check?"

On that note, I'm going on vacation. I'll be back March 8, but will be posting
random blogs to document my road trip to Florida.

Keep checking back to see what's in store for this Charles Kuralt wanna-be.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

public officials should also be required to pass not only a urine test but an ethics exam...so, if people on public assistance are required to pass a urine test, gives new meaning to "piss poor"... happy trails..

Wed Feb 28, 10:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only should they be subjected ot a urine test but if it is unemployment they are getting then they should be required to work for the state/government to earn their money if they cannot find a job within a couple of months. I bet that would be an incentive to find a job! Also, I know it is against a person's rights to do this but women on welfare should also be required to be on birth control while receiving assistance.

Wed Feb 28, 11:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, people on welfare should have random drug testing. That will surely end the welfare system.

Wed Feb 28, 11:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diana,

And don't pose for any nude pictures during your spring break in the Sunshine State.

Wed Feb 28, 04:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or show up in any girls gone wild videos with your pups...

Wed Feb 28, 05:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Working as I do in a geriatric facility and hiring as I do,you'd be surprised how many people cannot pass a background check.
Even after it's announced to them that a background check will be done on them,they attest to being totally free of any convictions.
Well,what about a guy who has 4 drug felony convictions on him?
Was he hoping his past did not catch up with him?
I have not seen a lot of good work ethic in the lower socio-economic
level.
I have to keep working....a lot of people on Welfare are depending on me!

Wed Feb 28, 06:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on Leon! I completely agree with you! Maybe the State should make welfare recipients pass a
drug test. Now wouldn't that be a
wake-up call! Besides, why should us hard-working Americans be responsible for others who don't want to work? It doesn't make much sense does it?

Wed Feb 28, 07:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

worse yet are illegal immigrants on our welfare!

Wed Feb 28, 11:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SO love these bloggers!!! I totally agree with all the comments except the vacation ones! I run a labor hall and often cant get enough workers to come in because they are paid to stay home! Talk about frustrating. You should hear some of my conversations with the Department of Children and Loosers!

Thu Mar 01, 07:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Asbury Park Press gives a urine test.

Or a literacy test, for that matter.

Thu Mar 01, 03:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home