Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE


OK, I'm about as spiritual as the next guy. It's religion I have trouble with.

I certainly take exception when a fundamental doctrine of a church is to handle snakes.

Such was the case at the East London Holiness Church in London, Ky., where a parishioner died after she was bitten by a snake in the church. Snake-handling during the religious service there is based on a passage in the Bible that says a true believer has the power to "take up serpents" without being harmed.

Guess she wasn't a true believer ... or maybe the snake finally just got tired of all that handling.

So much for that.

And so much for those poor, distraught people who believed their letters to a minister of a New Jersey church, asking him to pray for them, were read. In reality, he stuffed the letters somewhere, unopened. They were found recently floating in a plastic bag off Atlantic City in the ocean. Some dated back to 1973.

Even though he died two years ago, to him I say, "Hey man, since you're (hopefully) already up there, any chance of finishing the job?"

P.S. Internet photo was sent to me from a way-too spiritual person.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully, some of those people went to their graves believing their prayers were answered or sins absolved..

Tue Nov 14, 12:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my prayers go out to all believers, even if they like snakes. Talking about snakes, I've known few men who qualify! Maybe God will make them fat.

Tue Nov 14, 05:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Shoprite is having a sale on marshmellows this week, Diana. :-)

Wed Nov 15, 10:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only was the guy a lousy minister but he was also a litter bug! I hope no turtles, dolphins or baby seals were injured by the bags of unread letters. LOOSER!Was he throwing them to Triton in hopes that he would answer people's prayers? I guess he was a TRUE believer. May be a snake told him to do it.

Thu Nov 16, 12:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home