Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

BREATHING FIRE


Here's a pretty little princess and her mini-dragon (at least I think that's what Chihuahua, Spike, was for Halloween).

Looks innocent enough, right?

All this holiday pet dressing up reminds me of the crap I got from some animal activists when I wrote a column about how my grandmother used to entertain us by dressing up our pets.

She was pretty unconventional and did stuff to them like putting peanut butter on the dog's palate. When his tongue went in and out trying to lick it off, Gram would pretend like he was saying things. It made us laugh and, of course, never hurt the dog.

But some readers were offended when I said she put wax paper on the cat's paws, secured with a rubber band, which made the cat try to shake it off. It always looked like she was boxing. The cat wasn't crazy about having wax paper on its feet, but it didn't hurt her.

And, you can't tell me that all those millions of pets out there who were dressed up by their owners for Halloween were loving it. Just look at Spike's face!

I'd bet most of those animal activists who nailed my grandmother with their venom, saying she was cruel, are right about now packing away their pets' costumes for next year.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I guess it's ok to dress up that dog as long as you fed him lots of choclate.

Wed Nov 01, 02:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dogs are for bbq!

Wed Nov 01, 07:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spike would not move while his costume was on. Then when I took it off he put his tail between his legs and hid under bed until trick-or-treaters rang the doorbell. Sprocket, our beagle, tore his costume off in two seconds and then ate it. They didn't eat any chocolate but a Korean chef knocked on our door and they chased him down the street, biting his ankles.

Thu Nov 02, 01:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please be careful when giving a dog chocolate. My Snoopy ate it and he was never the same!! Had to feed him chicken and rice for the last 4 years of his life. I didn't even try to put a costume on my beagle Shiloh. I know he would have shaken his head till his head flew off! The only thing he likes is the collar covers I have for every time of the year. He had his pumpkin one on for Halloween.

Thu Nov 02, 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

The ASPCA would have a difficult time finding Gram much less prosecuting her. She's been six feet under for quite a long time. In Gram's day, her dogs rarely got dog food. They got table scraps, and leftover peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that we didn't eat were not foreign material to the dogs.

Thu Nov 02, 12:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave the pets alone-I actually two weeks ago saw a dog dressed in a tux to walk the bride down the aisle

Thu Nov 02, 02:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only animals that I hate worse than cute little pets are grown humans.

Thu Nov 02, 04:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No haberdashery for pets, they do not appreciate it. Sweaters ok in winter. Exception---- Poodles, look at them strut around, they love it. Of course, Poodles are not really dogs---- are they??
Ole Daddy

Thu Nov 02, 08:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in our modern society I guess it's ok for pets to be dessed up for halloween as long as the pet is comfortable. I did send in to APP my granddog's halloween picture, and it was published. mollie looked cute and is enjoying the exposure as two months ago she was usurped in our attention when my son and daughter-in-law had a baby girl.

Fri Nov 03, 10:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dogs in costumes are cute. I am not big on "cute."

Mon Nov 06, 09:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home