Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

TANGLED IN THE WIRELESS AGE


My 6-year-old dinosaur computer finally died.

Because I do a lot of writing at home for work, I had to replace it ... fast! So, off I went to Circuit City to buy another.

I already knew which computer I wanted because - when Bessie was fading - I did a little research to prepare for her demise. And, a wireless network was high on my list.

When I got home with the wireless system, I found had more wires to contend with (plus two extras at $80 each) than a good electrician with a booming business.

At this time, the media center still has no TV reception, which means more wires will be coming from the cable company.

Don't ya just love technology?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, we want to go back to the days when you had to put the carbon paper into the manual typewriter then take the little strip of white out paper and go on for hours with whatever-it was harder to type but easier to live-you know we never called my dad at work and never asked where he was-he came home at five and then we all sat and ate-we never even knew his work number or license plate-all was good we did our homework,took a shower, went to bed and got up with a smile on our faces-it was normal, simple and happy-now, we cannot even give to the poor unless it is the right weekend to get a receipt
We can still pray

Tue Oct 17, 03:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best thing to do in a case like this is ask the nearest teenager.

Tue Oct 17, 04:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 50...I remember mimeographs, risographs,teletype machines,8-tracks and as my computer whiz son asks, "hey Mom, did you take steno for Moses on those huge stone tablets, or did you write hieroglyphics on papyrus reeds?"...smart a**!!

Tue Oct 17, 07:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So why would my Dell Dimension Desktop with 256K of memory and 1.96 Gh of processor speed run well on the cable modem at the shore and slow to a crawl when attached to baby's DSL line?????
She has a wireless laptop connected to a DSL.
What can I do to speed my programs when they open?
Anyone....

Tue Oct 17, 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I have firedog at circuit city on the job... so far i've only had to call three times to fix the bugs in my wireless system. it's a thankless job! But you will be surprised when you see them taking over your computer from who knows where. I think they live inside the internet lines.

Wed Oct 18, 08:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home