Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

BEARLY BELIEVABLE


The Internet reminds me of the telephone game.

It seems this grizzly item has been circulating since 2001, and it continues to grow by the day.

This bear was killed Oct. 14, 2001, by U.S. Air Force Airman Theodore Winnen on Hinchinbrook Island, Prince William Sound. It measured 10 feet by 6 inches from nose to tail and weighed an estimated 1,200 pounds. It was considered big, but not a world record or even a record for Alaska.


An e-mail that I received a couple of days ago with these pictures says the grizzly stood 14 feet and was the largest ever recorded in the world. It also said the bear charged a U.S. Forest Service worker before he emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic gun into it.

In reality, Winnen used a 338-caliber Winchester Magnum, and the bear wasn't charging. Most likely, it didn't even see the military man who was down wind and in camouflage.

The e-mail also said the bear had the remains of two humans in its stomach, another falsehood. Check out Break the Chain Web site to read the real bear stories. But, be careful if you have a weak stomach because it also shows a picture of what appears to be the remains of a partially eaten man.

All this makes a good case for "don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

talk about "bearing false witness to arms"...

Wed Apr 18, 10:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That guy is my cousin and that bear used to be in the circus. He hated clowns and it was only a matter of time before he ran across a clown or two out there in the woods. In fact they found a paper with a list of clowns and their adresses in the bears pocket. My cousin did a public service. It would not have been good if that bear showed up at your kids birthday party looking for clowns.

Wed Apr 18, 11:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just doing research on Topsy The Elephant. She was electrocuted in Luna Park, Coney Island ,in 1903.Then it made the NY Times. She was ''PUT DOWN" because she killed 3 people, one of whom burned her with a cigarette.
Onward to 2007. The Bear's killing is on the web.
Nothing changes.
( You can find out about Topsy by typing into google search engine. )

Wed Apr 18, 12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read somewhere that there have been bear sightings in every single county in New Jersey. What would you do if one showed up in your back yard? I, for one, wouldn't invite it into my house.

Wed Apr 18, 12:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the pictures do give one "paws" to remember that we are still not the "baddest" predators around, just the most numerous.

Wed Apr 18, 12:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 'bare truth' is that once the story leaves the scene of the event-it will change as many times as it is told!!!

With photo tech these days you cannot even believe what you see unless you are there!

Wed Apr 18, 12:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UNBEARABLE PICS, BUT A BEARY INTERESTING ARTICLE

Wed Apr 18, 12:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

better clowns than those creepy mimes, Barnum..remember- a mime is a terrible thing to waste..hey, Job, if I saw a huge bear in my backyard, what would I do, you ask? Well, first I'd change my under garments...does a bear s**t in the woods? I don't know , but if I encountered one, I sure would!

Wed Apr 18, 12:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe someone that hunts can answer a question I have. What do you do with the animal after it is killed? How do you move a dead bear that weighs over 1,000 lbs, particularly if the animal died in an area that is not accessible by, say, a pick-up truck?

Thanks.

Wed Apr 18, 03:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! Forgive the typo above. I meant to write "curious" and not curios.

Wed Apr 18, 03:13:00 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

In my research I believe I read that this particular bear was stuffed and put in the Anchorage airport... I guess to warn people not to feed the wildlife. :+)

How they moved it? Maybe the Air Force helped? Good question.

Wed Apr 18, 03:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog commentators are very punny.

Appropos of nothing, the best one I saw today was: “A man needs a mistress just to break the monogamy.”

Wed Apr 18, 05:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home