Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Monday, December 11, 2006

SQUEAKY WHEEL


You can't let life get to you.

It was difficult this past weekend when I scheduled the cable company (for the third time) to fix the service to my media-center computer.

Two months ago, the first guy split the line coming to my high-speed Internet connection to accommodate the digital, high-def TV in the computer.

It didn't work, and the TV picture was left dark and trailing.

I complained.

The second guy came out and fidgeted with the levels on the pole outside.

That didn't work either and the cable company blamed the lousy picture on my brand new computer.

I then paid $133 for the computer man to come out and troubleshoot. He did a direct analog connection, and the computer looked fine except it wasn't high-def.

He blamed the cable company, which I called again.

A brash, very rude cable man came out and basically told me I was crazy. He thought the picture looked fine to him, but admitted he didn't know a thing about computers. When I began to get a little adamant about the crappy service, he ran out of the house.

I complained AGAIN to the cable company. Saturday they're sending a supervisor who supposedly knows about media centers.

I was told years ago by a friend that you should go through life like a duck ...look calm and collected on top, but paddle like the devil underneath.

If this supervisor doesn't fix the problem, then I'm paddling right up to Comcast's CEO!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I would have gone up the service ladder after the first screwup. The older I get the less patience I have, and the more aggressive I have become. Since I only have one nerve left, I'm not about to let someone step on it! sic em'! grrr...

Mon Dec 11, 12:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I did with HP. All I needed was a blankety-blank transformer from my dad's printer to the outlet (e.g., the power cord.) It's proprietary, so none of the stores had it. It was under warranty, so I sent an email. I called a week later to their 800 number; no record of the email, and not only did the guy speak English so badly he had trouble getting me a hardware service number. On my second phone call, where I asked for that number, the rep wanted me diagnose the printer problem even though I told him that the first rep agreed it was the transformer and more importantly, that the printer was 130 miles away!

I finally called one of HP's corporate offices, not an 800 number. Waddya know - they gave me the hardware number, the name of the rep that I spoke to at corporate and his number. In ten minutes. And in three days I got the part.

Lesson: never call the 800 number. Always call the corporate office because they don't want to deal with you and will help you so you do go away.

Mon Dec 11, 01:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that is why you had a DUCK collection, because you were always
calm and collected and cool on the outside. I know that it was Mr. MOAT who gave you the advice to live life as a duck and he also supplied your collection of ducks.

Debbie Doo
Delray Beach, FL. 33445

Mon Dec 11, 02:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like with your Lowe's fridge dilemma, having your own blog to publicly vent is all the bad advertising Comcast needs. Send a copy of this blog to the top dog and see how quickly you get results! You can call your next column "a splice of life" and put it out to your larger Press readers next week if still no results.

Mon Dec 11, 06:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say a crocodile more than a duck, especially when it comes to the crying part!

Tue Dec 12, 08:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

takes one to know one, bloggy!

Tue Dec 12, 09:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shall we go in?
generic hydrocodone

Wed Dec 27, 01:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home