Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Friday, November 24, 2006

NOT SO SMOOTH SAILING


And I thought I was sick!

That was before I came across a news story about the Carnival cruise ship carrying 700 passengers who were stricken with the highly contagious norovirus.

The virus causes vomiting and diarrhea for up to 60 hours, and its victims can continue to be contagious for up to three weeks AFTER they recover.

Noroviruses easily spread in settings where food is served to large numbers of people, and good personal hygiene, such as thorough hand-washing, is not practiced. Cruise ships, child-care center and long-term health care facilities are particularly vulnerable to it.

Fourteen of the ship's guests and five crew members remain ill and in isolation.

I bet they have some vacation photos!

Because the virus is spread by touching doorknobs and other surfaces, I'm thinking that, along with the surgical face mask I was considering, rubber gloves might become a part of my daily attire.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt they're singing the theme song (remember Kathie Lee)..."in the morning, in the evening, ain't we got fun?"...lalalala...barfbarfbarfbarf..."no, it ain't fun!"

Fri Nov 24, 01:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My future mom-in-law paid for a cruise this coming January (she, her son, me and my fiancee.) The ship we're going on got hit by a rogue wave last year, necessitating a major repair (the ship was just commissioned in 2000). Now it's in Norfolk with propulsion problems.

I'm bringing an extra memory card for my digital camera and will be looking for a list of Caribbean internet cafes just in case I'll have to file an online update from Tortola....

Sat Nov 25, 02:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comments gave me the warm and fuzzies. Here, I'm scheduled to go on a cruise in January. And I'm now I'm debating whether I should buy a surgical face mask, or cancel the trip altogether.

Sun Nov 26, 09:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd bring a lot of antibacterial wipes and sanitizing lotion if I were you, menuval. Have fun!..:)

Mon Nov 27, 08:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what about those people who disappear off of cruise ships and are never heard from again? Should I not worry about that, too?

Mon Nov 27, 03:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or hit an iceberg...enjoy your trip!

Mon Nov 27, 05:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that we'll hit an iceberg in the Carribean ... especially since the globe is now warming.

Mon Nov 27, 08:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant the iceberg lettuce at the salad bar! (next to the e coli-infected spinach)..

Tue Nov 28, 11:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home