Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Thursday, August 09, 2007

BRAIN DEAD

OK, today I don't feel like being clever or searching for something unusual to blog about, so you're going to get an ...

ONION UPDATE!

Here are a few pictures of Mr. Stinky and how his growth has progressed over the summer with very little care and absolutely no fertilizer

All I did was plant him in a pot of soil and left him in the sun. He thrived in his new environment outside instead of in the refrigerator crisper where I found him struggling to survive since Christmas.


As you can see, he grew and grew until the blooms on the two sprouting stems opened with tiny, tiny pistils. Now the long alien-like stems are started to sag and dry ... sort of like the skin under my upper arms.


I'm wondering, though, if I let him stay there until next year, if he'll bloom again. Or better yet sprout baby onions. Anyone know?

If that happens I'll have to rename him Ms. Stinky.

Stay cool.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Stinky is looking good there Diana. Look up Aliums online.
They are related to onions.

Thu Aug 09, 04:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hum, blooming onion!

Thu Aug 09, 04:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not ask resident Asbury Press gardening writer/contributor Margaret Crooks..I remember she had a local cable program years ago I watched and still see her columns in APP.

Thu Aug 09, 05:28:00 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

that's a possibility or I can just look on the Web. Here's a site Pete offered of flowering plants related to onions:
click here

Fri Aug 10, 08:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diana, its beautiful. It still brings tears to my eyes....Hey is there any more rotting veggies in your drawer, I'd like to see you grow another species.

Fri Aug 10, 09:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home