Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Friday, July 13, 2007

TRADE OFF?

Time-outs don't work ... at least not for my granddaughter who's distraught for only a minute or two when given one. Then she laughs in your face.

Watching Chloe sit like an incarcerated criminal with her hands wrapped around the legs of a stool under the kitchen counter where I stipulated her time-out spot to be, I could see her smiling on the inside.


This was no time-out, but a chance to legitimately be next to the dog's water bowl in which to play. You see, I have to keep this little rascal in sight even during a time-out otherwise she's in to everything.

In any case, I came across this Harriet Carter Gifts "Time-Out Teddy" that lets kids know when time's up! The Teddy bear not only measures a child's time-out if they've misbehaved, but also aids in teaching youngsters the concept of time.

Ingenious ... reward the discipline-challenged kid with a toy. Then again, it might keep Chloe occupied trying to dismantle it before the buzzer goes off.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute idea. I hope it works for you. They use to tell me that if I didnt get my daughter under control by the time she was 4, it was a lost cause.

Fri Jul 13, 03:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Teddy Time out breaks, you could use a kitchen timer-cheaper too.Chloe's time out is one minute times her age_I think!

Fri Jul 13, 04:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow..my Mom used a ruler if we disobeyed her, and it wasn't attached to an adorable stuffed animal either..most of the time, all she had to do was wave it in front of us as a fair warning, and we obeyed...ahh, the '50's..no Nanny 911 necessary then..

Fri Jul 13, 05:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She sounds like a child that needs to be involved in things...if you bake or even do chores, you should have her assist you. Children at this age love to do what their mommies/nannas are doing. It might mean that the chore you are doing will take longer, but inthe end it might be worth it, and your grandbaby will be happily occupied.

Margaret

Sat Jul 14, 08:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too many spoiled brats these days no matter what excuses you use

Sat Jul 14, 08:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time outs are just the new fangled way of saying "go to your room and think about what you did." And the threat of a yardstick works well too.

Sun Jul 15, 10:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

except bratty kids will say no to timeout and won't go..then what?

Sun Jul 15, 06:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spanking!

Wed Jul 18, 03:59:00 PM  
Blogger My name is not Mom for the next 5 min said...

so what do you do with your girl?? my boy is the same way. But the reason he is in a time out is for hitting his older brother, so what do I do I can't spank him and say "don't hit its not nice" I am looking for help and came across your blog. If you have any ideas it would be great!

Tue Jan 01, 10:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home