Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Monday, January 15, 2007

CHILDREN OF THE CORN



I try not to feel bad for them, but they know I'm a wuss.

I have tried every squirrel deterrent known to man to keep the furry rodents from raiding my bird feeders.

A few left town when I stopped feeding them last spring and put in the squirrel-proof bird feeders. Those that stayed looked like the seniors of my backyard community, with their gray-haired faces hungrily peering at me from the fence posts, so then I really felt bad.

That's when I gave up and bought this corncob contraption on sale.


The squirrels are happy, but by the time I screw the cobs on this thing, I'm ready to bonk a squirrel or two for making me feel so guilty.

Sometimes it sucks to have feelings.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are just a squirrel enabler..co-dependency intervention is on the horizon.."Hi, my name is Diana and I feed squirrels"...

Mon Jan 15, 01:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best friend in college had a stuffed squirrel on her bed with a nut in its mouth-I called it Nutsy-now when I see one of these little troopers on our lawn or jumping around the neighborhood-eating a nut I always call "Hi, Nutsy" to hear the other half of my happiness say are you calling that animal or yourself!!! Beware of those adorable little creatures-they can destroy your home in less than 15 seconds-they are cute but don't feel toooooo badly about them not eating!!
Have a great day!

Mon Jan 15, 04:09:00 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Fortunately, I have a Mexican border patrol. Three squirrel-hating Chihuahuas that have trained the squirrels to stay beyond the fence. The chipmunks on the other hand, have been seen drinking out of the dog's water bowl. They love that bottled water!

Mon Jan 15, 04:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although it is possible for a squirrel to carry rabies it is not probable. Raccoons and skunks are more likely to have rabies.

Wed Jan 17, 11:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home