Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

DYING TO LIVE


She really is loved.

Every year about this time when beautiful poinsettias (that made the Christmas season even more beautiful) start to give up and die, I feel sad just like my co-workers who have taken up the cause to try and keep this little "Poinsy" alive.

Yes, they named her.

And every year, there is one hanger-on that gets my attention and effort to help it survive ... at least until Valentine's Day.

Usually, though, after they begin to wilt, they are tossed out, half alive, on top of the garbage heap.

So let's have a moment of silence for all the poinsettias that don't have good plant
mommies and daddies, and for those that are the bane of our existence as their leaves and blooms, that used to be on their stems, are now decorating our floors.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that they just need love, sun and ours usually last until Easter. I think that they can actually be cut down and stored in a dark cool place and will bloom again next year-I am not sure since I paid very little attention in my Botany Class-talk to it and place it in the sun-it may come back-she must have been really pretty in her day!

Tue Jan 09, 03:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all geography. Mine are just loving it![IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/mikey43/Poinsetta003.jpg[/IMG]

Tue Jan 09, 04:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wish we could clone them (when in full bloom)..can't even make potpourri like roses...

Tue Jan 09, 05:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like life your flower will blossom again.

Tue Jan 09, 05:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd rather talk to the plant than terry

Tue Jan 09, 07:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Diana:
Tragic news: Poinsy has been tossed!
We put her near a window for sun, but she was mistaken for trash.
We now feel very guilty for not putting a sign on her.
It would have read: "I am not garbage. I am here for the sunshine. Don't throw me away."
Thank YOU for taking her photo.
To borrow from "Casablanca": We'll always have Poinsy's photo.

Tue Jan 09, 08:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One down, eleven to go! All you poinsies get in line. I should have known you would leave me with this mess.........

Wed Jan 10, 07:47:00 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Sounds like slappster has a few for adoption. Poinsettias anyone?

Wed Jan 10, 08:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take them all to the same place you'll find the half-dead wreaths,swags, holly,Christmas trees and the rest of the holiday greenery that's not so "greenery" any more...

Wed Jan 10, 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Jane M. said...

Sigh, I have a beautiful one that is shedding its leaves at the moment. I am death to them and shouldn't be allowed near one.

Wed Jan 10, 12:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home