Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD


I have proof that some men can't follow directions.

Last week, I was waiting for the moving man to come and pick up some antique furniture I'm having reupholstered.




I waited and waited. From the detailed instructions I gave the shop's owner, the driver thought "right turn on to Bridge Avenue" meant a real bridge and ended up at the beach.

At least 10 phone calls later, I finally instructed him to stay at the local grocery store parking lot so I could come and get him to follow me to the house.

When he was leaving I reminded him to take a left on to Bridge Avenue ... he went right.

Later, I got a call from the upholsterer wanting to know where his driver was.

I told him he was hocking my antiques at the beach.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you check the obits? Maybe he look a right turn off the bridge! At least you got your beautiful settee before he met his cruel, cold fate!

Wed Sep 13, 01:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did he ever make it? The furniture is beautiful, was that Inez's?

Wed Sep 13, 01:10:00 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

The guy picked up the furniture and finally delivered it to the upholsterer who had to call me again later when he couldn't figure out the instructions for fabric placement and cushion restuffing I had indicated on picture printouts of the furniture and left at his shop. Men!

Wed Sep 13, 03:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we first move to Freehold, the moving van was LOST!!!!Then we had no phone , so you can imagine what happened. Now with Map Quest, there is no excuse for delivery trucks to get lost.
What new color will your couches be?We had an orange couch once, drapes too.

Wed Sep 13, 05:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mapquest! They should have DSL. But then again some businesses still use old fashioned receipt books, no computers. Tell them to get into the 21st century!

Wed Sep 13, 10:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gee, how did any of us ever survive the "old" PRE-COMPUTER DAYS? I'm still 'kickin'...

Wed Sep 13, 11:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice furniture-don't feel badly-my dad was on the phone giving directions to our house for twenty minutes and the person was in our drive-way!-Go figure!!!!

Thu Sep 14, 09:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong. With Mapquest there is MORE of a reason to get lost. Even after the retooling of Routes 34/35/70 into a 4-way intersection, MQ still showed it as a traffic circle. And I can't tell you how many people pull into the Wawa on 37 and Garfield and ask how to get to Little League World Champions Blvd.... "Uh, you're driving on it, it's Route 37" is my answer. (It's an honorary name, not used by anybody, except, apparently, by MQ.)

And try using MQ on Long Beach Island and see how far you get....

Sat Sep 16, 07:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like secret shopper got lost, too..sure you're not moonlighting as a delivery driver?

Tue Sep 19, 11:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home