Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

SHOTS, ANYONE?

An Italian tourist was given a drip-feed of 100-proof vodka at an Australian hospital after doctors ran out of medicinal alcohol to treat the man for his condition.


The 24-year-old man, who was not named, ingested an antifreeze ingredient, ethylene glycol that causes renal failure. It was believed he was trying to take his life.

Pure alcohol is given in treating the toxic effects of ethylene glycol, but when the hospital ran out of the pharmaceutical-grade, doctors did the next best thing and put the dying man on spirits through a naso-gastric tube.

The drip-feed of vodka equaled out to about three drinks an hour for the three days the man spent in intensive care.

The Brisbane hospital officials said the incident happened about two months ago, but only just released the report. The patient made a successful recovery.

Does that mean he's now a recovering alcoholic?


Photo by Nic McPhee

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Pete said...

It sounds like an episode of
"House"! Three drinks and hour for a period of 3 days? So where is his new liver coming from?
With the anti-freeze and the vodka,the creep is now protected to -30 degrees.
Doctor,a vodka martini with a twist here please!

Wed Oct 10, 09:49:00 AM  
Anonymous proofreader said...

Was he given an HUI? Healing under the influence? If he had died while undergoing treatment,at least he wouldn't need to be embalmed! Were there cocktail olives in his drip bag?

Wed Oct 10, 05:12:00 PM  
Anonymous wino said...

I am pickled.

Wed Oct 10, 07:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home