Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Say, what?

A CYNICAL LOOK AT THE DAILY GRIND

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

USE YOUR LIPS, USE YOUR LIPS!


It's what I keep telling Chihuahua Elsie when she begs for table food, and I try to give it to her with a fork so I don't have messy fingers or a greasy food spot on the floor.

OK, so I shouldn't give my three perma-pups table food, then I wouldn't have to train them to eat from a fork.

Right . . . and they should sleep in a dog bed instead of on my pillow.

It's not easy being a dog owner, trying to ignore those sad eyes as they watch you, bite after bite, put filet mignon in your mouth while they're saddled with a bowl of hard, dry kibbles.

It's not easy watching them sit up or paw at your leg while you're slurping down lobster bouillabaisse.

And because I really don't want them to have it, it's tough dodging the calculating critters when they leap into your lap as you sit down on the sofa with a glass of wine. No need for lips when that happens.

Little winos. They know, all they need then is a little tongue to lick it off the floor.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad, rest his soul, would have certainly understood what you feel when dealing with those wanting eyes. I had strict rules about feeding my sheltie, Bucks, off the kitchen table. Dispite my best efforts, I would catch Dad sliping the dog a piece of sausage. When confronted by me, Dad would simply say, but those little eyes were staring up at me.

Wed Apr 19, 08:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diana,

Your Elsie could be a sibling of our Lola. Lola approaches her daily ration of puppy food with disdain, but will jump three feet for a piece of cheese.

Fri Apr 21, 04:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lola, she was a showgirl ...

Sun Apr 23, 11:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 5 spoiled pooches myself and I know for sure if it wasnt for them and the daughter, I would be a millionaire. I also know that I wouldnt want it any other way.

Tue Apr 25, 10:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who can resist those "brown limpid pools of love" looking at you?

Wed Apr 26, 10:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home